- FIN-CLARIAH Research Infrastructure
A new national research infrastructure initiative FIN-CLARIAH for...
8.12.2021 8:12 by eahyvone
- WarMemoirSampo published on December 3, 2021
A new “Sampo” application, “WarMemoirSampo”...
8.12.2021 8:04 by eahyvone
- Five new SeCo papers accepted for the ISWC 2021
The 20th International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC 2021), the...
2.8.2021 6:53 by eahyvone
- Senka Drobac, Laura Sinikallio and Eero Hyvönen: An OCR Pipeline for Transforming Parliamentary Debates into Linked Data: Case ParliamentSampo – Parliament of Finland on the Semantic Web
- Henna Poikkimäki, Petri Leskinen, Minna Tamper and Eero Hyvönen: Analyses of Networks of Politicians Based on Linked Data: Case ParliamentSampo -- Parliament of Finland on the Semantic Web
- Eljas Oksanen, Heikki Rantala, Jouni Tuominen, Michael Lewis, David Wigg-Wolf, Frida Ehrnsten and Eero Hyvönen: Digital Humanities Solutions for Pan-European Numismatic and Archaeological Heritage Based on Linked Open Data
- Mehwish Alam, Victor de Boer, Enrico Daga, Marieke van Erp, Eero Hyvönen and Albert Meroño-Peñuela: Editorial of Special Issue on Cultural Heritage and Semantic Web Technology
|Knowledge Extraction from Natural Language
Case Finnish (and Swedish) Texts
Knowledge Extraction from Finnish Texts
Goals of Research
In Digital Humanities (DH) the data comes in often in textual form (e.g., news, biographies, articles, novels). When publishing such content as Linked Data for DH analysis, the meaning of literal mentions of entities (such as names of persons and places), concepts, relations, events, topics, etc. have to be extracted from unstructured texts and represented as structured semantic data for the computer. In our own work, for example, such knowledge extraction has been needed when developing the Sampo series of semantic portals.
During this research, various natural language processing (NLP) tools and linguistic datasets have been developed. In our view, such tools and resources should be made openly available on the Web as web services. NLP tools and resources would be an important part of the Linked Open Data Infrastructure for Digital Humanities in Finland.
Services for NLP
More information will appear here later.
Dr. Cand. Minna Tamper, Aalto University
Prof. Eero Hyvönen, University of Helsinki (HELDIG) and Aalto