- New Sampo portal released: MMM ? Mapping Manuscript Migrations
On Jan 30th, 2020, at the Digging into Data conference in Alexandria,...
31.1.2020 12:08 by eahyvone
- New doctoral thesis and defense at SeCo by Kasper Apajalahti
Kasper Apajalahti defended his thesis “Contributions to...
17.11.2019 8:54 by eahyvone
- NameSampo: yet another semantic sampo portal released
On Feb 1, 2019, ‘NameSampo: A Linked Open Data Infrastructure...
13.2.2019 13:53 by eahyvone
- Minna Tamper, Arttu Oksanen, Jouni Tuominen, Aki Hietanen and Eero Hyvönen: Automatic Annotation Service APPI: Named Entity Linking in Legal Domain
- Heikki Rantala, Ilkka Jokipii, Mikko Koho, Esko Ikkala, Jouni Tuominen and Eero Hyvönen: Building a Linked Open Data Portal of War Victims in Finland 1914-1922
- Eero Hyvönen: Building and Using a National Linked Open Data Infrastructure for Digital Humanities: The Finnish Approach
- Heikki Rantala, Eero Hyvönen and Esko Ikkala: Creating the HISTO Ontology of Finnish History Events
AMMO Ontology of Finnish Historical Occupations
AMMO ontology provides a harmonized view of Finnish historical occupations from early 20th century. It is based on manually harmonizing 4564 distinct occupational labels from 3 different source datasets. The source datasets are WW1 War Victims, WW2 Death Records, and WW2 Prisoners of War. AMMO occupations are linked to international HISCO classification, providing social stratification information through HISCLASS and HISCAM, as well as to Finnish Classification of Occupations. AMMO is modeled using SKOS. The ontology structure is provided through the hierarchies of HISCO and Classification of Occupations.
Sources of Occupational labels
WarSampo datasets of war casualties and prisoners of war.
WarCasualtySampo 1914-1922 dataset.
Sources of Contextual Information
Classification of Finnish Occupations 1980 contains parts of the occupation hierarchy, and the social classification, related to AMMO occupations, published in Classification of occupations 1980 (Ammattiluokitus 1980) by Statistics Finland (Tilastokeskus).
HISCO resource labels and hierarchy used with permission from the HISCO database. http://hdl.handle.net/10622/JA9B8O, IISH Dataverse, V1. Described in Van Leeuwen, M.H.D., Maas, I., Miles, A.: HISCO: Historical international standard classification of occupations. Leuven University Press (2002). See also the historyofwork.iisg.nl website and HISCO book (see: DOI:10.3200/HMTS.37.4.186-197).
HISCLASS classification used with permission, from Maas, I., & Van Leeuwen, M. H. (2005). Total and relative endogamy by social origin: A first international comparison of changes in marriage choices during the nineteenth century. International review of social History, 50(S13), 275-295. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0020859005002142
HISCAM measures based on Lambert, P. S., Zijdeman, R. L., Van Leeuwen, M. H., Maas, I., & Prandy, K. (2013). The construction of HISCAM: A stratification scale based on social interactions for historical comparative research. Historical Methods: A Journal of Quantitative and Interdisciplinary History, 46(2), 77-89. https://doi.org/10.1080/01615440.2012.715569