- In/Tangible European Heritage: New EU project starting in SeCo
The idea of the new 3-year project is to study how intangible cultural...
6.8.2020 8:57 by eahyvone
- New SeCo papers accepted for ESWC 2020
Five SeCo papers will be presented at the Extended Semantic Web...
23.4.2020 8:02 by eahyvone
- New Sampo portal released: MMM ? Mapping Manuscript Migrations
On Jan 30th, 2020, at the Digging into Data conference in Alexandria,...
31.1.2020 12:08 by eahyvone
- Mikko Koho, Toby Burrows, Eero Hyvönen, Esko Ikkala, Kevin Page, Lynn Ransom, Jouni Tuominen, Doug Emery, Mitch Fraas, Benjamin Heller, David Lewis, Andrew Morrison, Guillaume Porte, Emma Thomson, Athanasios Velios and Hanno Wijsman: Harmonizing and Publishing Heterogeneous Pre-Modern Manuscript Metadata as Linked Open Data
- Heikki Rantala, Esko Ikkala, Ilkka Jokipii, Mikko Koho, Jouni Tuominen and Eero Hyvönen: WarVictimSampo 1914–1922: a National War Memorial on the Semantic Web for Digital Humanities Research and Applications
- Eero Hyvönen: How to Create a National Cross-domain Ontology and Linked Data Infrastructure and Use It on the Semantic Web
- Laura Sinikallio, Senka Drobac, Minna Tamper, Rafael Leal, Mikko Koho, Jouni Tuominen, Matti La Mela and Eero Hyvönen: Plenary Debates of the Parliament of Finland as Linked Open Data and in Parla-CLARIN Markup
AMMO Ontology of Finnish Historical Occupations
AMMO ontology provides a harmonized view of Finnish historical occupations from early 20th century. It is based on manually harmonizing 4564 distinct occupational labels from 3 different source datasets. The source datasets are WW1 War Victims, WW2 Death Records, and WW2 Prisoners of War. AMMO occupations are linked to international HISCO classification, providing social stratification information through HISCLASS and HISCAM, as well as to Finnish Classification of Occupations. AMMO is modeled using SKOS. The ontology structure is provided through the hierarchies of HISCO and Classification of Occupations.
Sources of Occupational labels
WarSampo datasets of war casualties and prisoners of war.
WarCasualtySampo 1914-1922 dataset.
Sources of Contextual Information
Classification of Finnish Occupations 1980 contains parts of the occupation hierarchy, and the social classification, related to AMMO occupations, published in Classification of occupations 1980 (Ammattiluokitus 1980) by Statistics Finland (Tilastokeskus).
HISCO resource labels and hierarchy used with permission from the HISCO database. http://hdl.handle.net/10622/JA9B8O, IISH Dataverse, V1. Described in Van Leeuwen, M.H.D., Maas, I., Miles, A.: HISCO: Historical international standard classification of occupations. Leuven University Press (2002). See also the historyofwork.iisg.nl website and HISCO book (see: DOI:10.3200/HMTS.37.4.186-197).
HISCLASS classification used with permission, from Maas, I., & Van Leeuwen, M. H. (2005). Total and relative endogamy by social origin: A first international comparison of changes in marriage choices during the nineteenth century. International review of social History, 50(S13), 275-295. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0020859005002142
HISCAM measures based on Lambert, P. S., Zijdeman, R. L., Van Leeuwen, M. H., Maas, I., & Prandy, K. (2013). The construction of HISCAM: A stratification scale based on social interactions for historical comparative research. Historical Methods: A Journal of Quantitative and Interdisciplinary History, 46(2), 77-89. https://doi.org/10.1080/01615440.2012.715569