- NameSampo: yet another semantic sampo portal released
On Feb 1, 2019, ‘NameSampo: A Linked Open Data Infrastructure...
13.2.2019 13:53 by eahyvone
- BiographySampo released for public use
The next major semantic “Sampo” portal developed by SeCo,...
16.11.2018 21:00 by eahyvone
- New text book about Semantic Web and Linked Data in Finnish
The first text book about Semantic Web and Linked Data in Finnish,...
11.4.2018 12:28 by eahyvone
- Agata Dominowska, Elsi Hyttinen, Peter Ivanics, Mikko Koho, Ilona Pikkanen and Risto Turunen: Hiding in Plain Sight: Poetry in Newspapers and How to Approach it
- Howard Hotson, Thomas Wallnig, Jouni Tuominen, Eetu Mäkelä, and Eero Hyvönen: People
- Eero Hyvönen, Ruth Ahnert, Sebastian E. Ahnert, Jouni Tuominen, Eetu Mäkelä, Miranda Lewis and Gertjan Filarski: Reconciling metadata
- Arttu Oksanen, Jouni Tuominen, Eetu Mäkelä, Minna Tamper, Aki Hietanen and Eero Hyvönen: Semantic Finlex: Transforming, Publishing, and Using Finnish Legislation and Case Law As Linked Open Data on the Web
AMMO Ontology of Finnish Historical Occupations
AMMO ontology provides a harmonized view of Finnish historical occupations from early 20th century. It is based on manually harmonizing 4564 distinct occupational labels from 3 different source datasets. The source datasets are WW1 War Victims, WW2 Death Records, and WW2 Prisoners of War. AMMO occupations are linked to international HISCO classification, providing social stratification information through HISCLASS and HISCAM, as well as to Finnish Classification of Occupations. AMMO is modeled using SKOS. The ontology structure is provided through the hierarchies of HISCO and Classification of Occupations.
Sources of Occupational labels
WarSampo datasets of war casualties and prisoners of war.
WarCasualtySampo 1914-1922 dataset.
Sources of Contextual Information
Classification of Finnish Occupations 1980 contains parts of the occupation hierarchy, and the social classification, related to AMMO occupations, published in Classification of occupations 1980 (Ammattiluokitus 1980) by Statistics Finland (Tilastokeskus).
HISCO resource labels and hierarchy used with permission from the HISCO database. http://hdl.handle.net/10622/JA9B8O, IISH Dataverse, V1. Described in Van Leeuwen, M.H.D., Maas, I., Miles, A.: HISCO: Historical international standard classification of occupations. Leuven University Press (2002). See also the historyofwork.iisg.nl website and HISCO book (see: DOI:10.3200/HMTS.37.4.186-197).
HISCLASS classification used with permission, from Maas, I., & Van Leeuwen, M. H. (2005). Total and relative endogamy by social origin: A first international comparison of changes in marriage choices during the nineteenth century. International review of social History, 50(S13), 275-295. https://doi.org/10.1017/S0020859005002142
HISCAM measures based on Lambert, P. S., Zijdeman, R. L., Van Leeuwen, M. H., Maas, I., & Prandy, K. (2013). The construction of HISCAM: A stratification scale based on social interactions for historical comparative research. Historical Methods: A Journal of Quantitative and Interdisciplinary History, 46(2), 77-89. https://doi.org/10.1080/01615440.2012.715569