- FIN-CLARIAH Research Infrastructure
A new national research infrastructure initiative FIN-CLARIAH for...
8.12.2021 8:12 by eahyvone
- WarMemoirSampo published on December 3, 2021
A new “Sampo” application, “WarMemoirSampo”...
8.12.2021 8:04 by eahyvone
- Five new SeCo papers accepted for the ISWC 2021
The 20th International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC 2021), the...
2.8.2021 6:53 by eahyvone
- Frida Ehrnsten, Eljas Oksanen, Heikki Rantala and Eero Hyvönen: DigiNUMA ja Rahasampo – uusi digitaalinen palvelu rahalöydöistä kiinnostuneille
- Mehwish Alam, Victor de Boer, Enrico Daga, Marieke van Erp, Eero Hyvönen and Albert Meroño-Peñuela: Editorial of Special Issue on Cultural Heritage and Semantic Web
- Heikki Rantala, Eero Hyvönen and Petri Leskinen: Finding and explaining relations in a biographical knowledge graph based on life events: Case BiographySampo
- Heikki Rantala, Eero Hyvönen and Petri Leskinen: Finding relations between entities in a knowledge graph: Case artists of the Getty Union List of Artist Names (ULAN)
Linked Data is about using the Web to connect related data that wasn't previously linked, or using the Web to lower the barriers to linking data currently linked using other methods. More specifically, Wikipedia defines Linked Data as "a term used to describe a recommended best practice for exposing, sharing, and connecting pieces of data, information, and knowledge on the Semantic Web using URIs and RDF." For more information about the global Linked Data initiative, visit linkeddata.org.
Linked (Open) Data in Finland
The Semantic Computing Research Group SeCo has been actively building the foundations for a national semantic web infrastructure in Finland in the FinnONTO project(s) from year 2003. In 2010 we organized together with the Ministry of Communication and Ministry of Finance the kick-off seminar Open Linked Data in Finland. We also participated e.g. in the W3C Library Linked Data Incubator Group.
Our Linked Data Finland project (2012-2014), a national follow-up project of FinnONTO, focuses especially on issues related to publishing Linked Data. A result of this work is the Linked Data Finland data portal LDF.fi, the sibling data service for our ONKI ontology service.
Since 2002, SeCo has been creating linked RDF data (even before the term was coined) for many domains, including culture, health, media, government, business, science, law, and other domains. The goal has always been not only to create data and enhance its usage via web services, but also to test and show its usefulness in practical semantic web applications. See, e.g., our projects for more information.
Datasets, Metadata Schemas, Ontologies, and Services
In our view, the key components of Linked (Open) Data are not only datasets (including data alignments), but also metadata schemas (including schema alignments) used for representing the data, ontologies (vocabularies) used in annotating the data, and services for creating, publishing, and maintaining these data resources.
See our services and tools for more information.