- WarSampo Wins the Open Data Prize in the 2017 LODLAM Challenge
The WarSampo team of SeCo was recognized for making cultural heritage...
4.7.2017 18:52 by eahyvone
- Doctoral Defense in SeCo on Ontology Services
Jouni Tuominen will defend his dissertation “Ontology Services...
12.6.2017 16:48 by eahyvone
- HELDIG-keskuksen johtajasta professori Eero Hyvösestä Vuoden Norssi 2017
Helsingin yliopiston digitaalisten ihmistieteiden keskuksen (HELDIG)...
13.5.2017 21:12 by jwtuomin
- Arttu Oksanen, Jouni Tuominen, Eetu Mäkelä, Minna Tamper, Aki Hietanen and Eero Hyvönen: Law and Justice as a Linked Open Data Service
- Mikko Koho, Erkki Heino, Petri Leskinen, Minna Tamper, Esko Ikkala, Eetu Mäkelä, Jouni Tuominen and Eero Hyvönen: Linked Open Data and Ontology Infrastructure for Second World War History
- Kasper Apajalahti, Eero Hyvönen, Juha Niiranen, Vilho Räisänen: Combining ontological modelling and probabilistic reasoning for network management
- Eero Hyvönen: Cultural Heritage Linked Data on the Semantic Web: Three Case Studies Using the Sampo Model
Linked Data is about using the Web to connect related data that wasn't previously linked, or using the Web to lower the barriers to linking data currently linked using other methods. More specifically, Wikipedia defines Linked Data as "a term used to describe a recommended best practice for exposing, sharing, and connecting pieces of data, information, and knowledge on the Semantic Web using URIs and RDF." For more information about the global Linked Data initiative, visit linkeddata.org.
Linked (Open) Data in Finland
The Semantic Computing Research Group SeCo has been actively building the foundations for a national semantic web infrastructure in Finland in the FinnONTO project(s) from year 2003. In 2010 we organized together with the Ministry of Communication and Ministry of Finance the kick-off seminar Open Linked Data in Finland. We also participated e.g. in the W3C Library Linked Data Incubator Group.
Our Linked Data Finland project (2012-2014), a national follow-up project of FinnONTO, focuses especially on issues related to publishing Linked Data. A result of this work is the Linked Data Finland data portal LDF.fi, the sibling data service for our ONKI ontology service.
Since 2002, SeCo has been creating linked RDF data (even before the term was coined) for many domains, including culture, health, media, government, business, science, law, and other domains. The goal has always been not only to create data and enhance its usage via web services, but also to test and show its usefulness in practical semantic web applications. See, e.g., our projects for more information.
Datasets, Metadata Schemas, Ontologies, and Services
In our view, the key components of Linked (Open) Data are not only datasets (including data alignments), but also metadata schemas (including schema alignments) used for representing the data, ontologies (vocabularies) used in annotating the data, and services for creating, publishing, and maintaining these data resources.